Based on the frequent forum posts on speedsolving.com, I can attest to the fact that there is this huge hype about new cubes.
In the past months, or year, if you will, we as cubers have gotten a plethora of new cubes. Now, this encompasses all types of cubes, including the 4x4, but I'm less concerned about the hype of those. Why? Because there are clear flaws in ALL 4x4s. Lock-ups, pops, etc. 3x3s on the other hand are way too overrated. Here's why:
- If you average anything over 20 seconds, you need to work on your own style, not on your budget for cubes. New cubes will not make you faster. Practicing will.
- Pick a preference and go with it. I understand if you are a hobbyist who collects all puzzles. I also understand if you make consumer reviews. I don't understand overconsumption if you are just an average cuber, like me. Why do you NEED to get EVERY SINGLE CUBE AVAILABLE?! You don't. Stick with what you have and practice. Now, granted, some cubes fit some cubers better than others. However, if you're buying 52 cubes a year, you should realized by now what your preference is. If you like smooth, go with the GuHong, if you like clicky, go with Alpha. You don't need both.
- New cubes does not equate to better cubes. What makes a LunHui better than a GuHong? Unpoppable? My anus. All cubes pop. Plus, cubes can't have it all. The LunHui suffers from less speed. If you prefer speed to minor pops, go with the GuHong; it rarely pops anyway.
- Stop obsessing over corner cutting. If you rely on 45 degree corner cuts, you need better turning. Period.
- Stop obsessing over reverse corner cutting. If you need anything more than what a tightly tensioned GuHong can do, you should feel ashamed of yourself.
- Stop obsessing over speed. This is a persistent issue. People say Eastsheens suck because they don't cut corners. I disagree; I say they suck because they can't turn properly. Why would anyone want a frictionless cube? That's absolutely ridiculous. If you can't turn a GuHong effortlessly, work on that. If you think fast is good, think again. If you average 30 seconds, it's not speed you need.
- Finally, stop obsessing over Lubix. Lubix is a great product, but it's not the solution to every cube. Sure, it works on 3x3's. However, I highly doubt it's better than silicone spray for 5x5s and other big cubes. Again, stick with what you have.
Don't buy new cubes - just practice.
Thanks for reading,